When you read a really good book do you ever pause and wonder about the author? How did he or she come up with that plot, that twist and those characters? Maybe you go a step further and wonder what the author looks like. I do. I always have a picture in my mind. Of course, what an author writes usually has no correlation with how he or she looks. Often the only picture we are given are the words the author has penned. There is something so revealing and intriguing about seeing the person behind the story.
I had the privilege of photographing author Carrie Nyman. Her current book, Why Aren’t You Sweet Like Me, is engaging, thought provoking, entertaining, and bottom line, just really, really good! Seriously, you need to check it out! She’s just wrapping up another book that I can’t wait to read. I really respect a person who can tap into the human experience, add imagination, and then articulate it on paper in such a way that it touches the lives of those who read it. Carrie is just such a person and author.
When dressing for a photo shoot it is easy to feel that you need to “dress up” or put on that outfit you hardly wear – it doesn’t fit quite right but it sure is stunning.
But in truth, while the outfit may be nice, it may not make for the best picture of you and what you are trying to communicate or capture. Here are some things to consider:
- Be comfortable! If you don’t feel comfortable in your clothes you won’t look comfortable and that won’t give you the photography results you are hoping for.
- Be confident! How you feel affects how you look so feel stunning in your outfit! If you feel like you look good you will look good!
- Be consistent! Wear an outfit that is representative of what you would normally wear. Doing a drastic style shift for a photo won’t help you or others remember you as you were.
- Be colorful! This doesn’t necessarily mean you have to dress in bright colors and big patterns. It does mean don’t be afraid to shine! Your clothing is a reflection of you and your personality. If that means your big personality likes to wear bold colors, go for it! But it also means if you love neutrals, stick with that palette. An easy way to add pop is through jewelry. An ordinary outfit can come alive with the right accessories! But always remember, ultimately we want the focus of attention to be on your face.
- Be considerate! If this is a group photo, you don’t want to be the one person standing out in the highlighter yellow shirt. While that may be “you,” take the whole look into consideration.
Whether you are going for trendy or timeless, there is always a way to feel good, look good, and have fabulous pictures!
In case you hadn’t noticed, I’ve fallen off of the picture-a-day wagon. Unfortunately, fun goals gave way to more important priorities…like dealing with several weeks of my daughter in a cast.
But that doesn’t mean I wasn’t taking pictures! I had the privilege of shooting author Carrie Nyman’s book signing for her book Why Aren’t You Sweet Like Me? If you haven’t already read this book you need to check it out!
Then there was a family reunion of sorts in Kansas to celebrate my niece’s 2nd birthday. She is even cuter than this adorable ruffle cake her mommy made for her.
Baby “season” is also well underway and the new born shoots are rolling in. I just love brand new tiny toes!
In the midst of the busy routine of life, I always try to remember to enjoy the little moments. Like taking the time to sit at my window and enjoy a breathtaking sunset on a spring evening.
Hope you are enjoying the warmer weather and little moments of delight in your life! MM