When dressing for a photo shoot it is easy to feel that you need to “dress up” or put on that outfit you hardly wear – it doesn’t fit quite right but it sure is stunning.
But in truth, while the outfit may be nice, it may not make for the best picture of you and what you are trying to communicate or capture. Here are some things to consider:
- Be comfortable! If you don’t feel comfortable in your clothes you won’t look comfortable and that won’t give you the photography results you are hoping for.
- Be confident! How you feel affects how you look so feel stunning in your outfit! If you feel like you look good you will look good!
- Be consistent! Wear an outfit that is representative of what you would normally wear. Doing a drastic style shift for a photo won’t help you or others remember you as you were.
- Be colorful! This doesn’t necessarily mean you have to dress in bright colors and big patterns. It does mean don’t be afraid to shine! Your clothing is a reflection of you and your personality. If that means your big personality likes to wear bold colors, go for it! But it also means if you love neutrals, stick with that palette. An easy way to add pop is through jewelry. An ordinary outfit can come alive with the right accessories! But always remember, ultimately we want the focus of attention to be on your face.
- Be considerate! If this is a group photo, you don’t want to be the one person standing out in the highlighter yellow shirt. While that may be “you,” take the whole look into consideration.
Whether you are going for trendy or timeless, there is always a way to feel good, look good, and have fabulous pictures!